Southend man ‘raped woman while holding knife’ court hears

A MAN raped a prostitute on the bonnet of his car while holding a large rusty knife, a court heard.

Kye Lewis is alleged to have raped the woman twice in the corner of a cemetery on Sutton Road, Southend.

The 21-year-old of Archer Avenue, Southend, denies two counts of rape and one count of theft.

His trial began at Basildon Crown Court yesterday.

Prosecutor Noel Casey told a jury that it was the Crown Prosecution Service’s case that Lewis picked up the prostitute in Ambleside Drive, Southend and then drove her to the cemetery in Sutton Road at around 2am on July 11, 2017.

It is alleged that when Lewis parked his car he drew a large knife on the woman and told her she was going to be raped, before taking her to the front of the car and committing the crime twice.

He is then accused of taking her handbag and leaving her in the cemetery along with her clothes.

The alleged victim then ran to a friend’s house, who called the police.

Lewis admits he had sex with the woman but claims it was consensual, and that she fabricated the story about him raping her.

The jury was played a video of the interview with the alleged victim and Essex Police after she reported it.

She said: “He said ‘I want to go to the cemetery’. I would never go to the cemetery, but it was the end of the night, so I didn’t really think about it too much. It was about 2am.

“He kept looking at me but didn’t talk to me.

“He was driving like a maniac; I was all over the place in the seat.

“He looked like he knew where he was going and exactly where he wanted to be.

“The blade was rusted and dirty, it looked old.

“He had the knife in his hand.

“I said please put a condom on, I asked him three times.

“He came around to the passenger door, I got out, he took me to the front of the car, he told me to take my underwear and shoes off.

“He gave me back my shorts and knickers but wouldn’t give my handbag back.”

Mr Casey told the jury: “She was so frightened she put her clothes in her hands before running and climbing the wall to get out.”

The trial continues this week.

Echo | News