NEIGHBOURS watched on in horror when a fire broke out just next to their back garden in Rayleigh.
Fire crews arrived quickly and rushed to the scene at The Chase, where they discovered a shed had caught fire and quickly spread to nearby trees.
Jude Bennett and his family of Gilbert Close alerted the fire service.
The 21-year-old, said: “It was really scary as I’d never seen flames that high and so close before. The tree went up so fast that I was worried it would spread across to our garden
“My sister, Maddy who first saw the fire and told us all, said that she thought it was just a bonfire first and then didn’t take any notice but then looked back and saw it was now way bigger and felt very scared.”
Jude praised the fire service for their quick response.
He, added: “The fire department were fantastic, we phoned them and they arrived in under five minutes.”
Other residents also saw huge flames billowing across Rayleigh.
The fire control room received 30 calls about the incident.
A spokesman for Essex Fire Service, said: “Fire Control received almost 30 calls reporting a fire in Rayleigh this afternoon (Wednesday 15 July).
“When firefighters arrived at the incident, they reported that it was a shed on fire. The shed measured approximately 6m x 8m.
“Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire by 6pm. They then made sure the affected area was completely cooled before leaving.”